Cleaning your dryer vent is one of the most inexpensive ways to prevent a fire at your house.
5 Warning Signs That it’s Time to Clean Your Dryer Vent
Imagine waking up to see that your house is on fire—and then to find out later that the fire could have been easily prevented with proper maintenance of your dryer.
1. Drying time for clothes takes longer and longer.
When a dryer vent is clogged, the drying cycle can double or triple in time.
2. Your clothing and the outside of the dryer are very hot.
Do you notice that your clothing is very hot at the end of a cycle or the dryer is hot to touch?
3. You notice a burning smell.
When you run your dryer do you smell a burning odor? Lint is very flamable
4. You can see lint or debris around the dryer hose or outside vent opening
If you can see lint or debris around the dryer hose or outside vent opening, then it is time for a cleaning.
5. It’s been longer than a year since your last inspection.
Dryer vent ducts should be inspected at least once a year to reduce the risk of fires and carbon monoxide poisoning.